Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Giada's Basil Pesto

My basil in my garden is going crazy! I am looking constantly for ways to use my basil. Here is one of my favorites. This can also be made and frozen. I make as directed except for cheese (it doesn't freeze well), and put it into ice cube trays. Once frozen I pop out the individual squares and store in a freezer bag. Then I can defrost and use as much as I need. I add the cheese in after it has thawed.

2 c packed fresh basil
1/4 c toasted pine nuts
1 garlic clove
1/2 t salt, more to taste
1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
about 2/3 c extra virgin olive oil
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor pulse basil, pine nuts, garlic, salt, and pepper until finely chopped. With food processor running add oil to smooth consistency, transfer to a bowl and stir in cheese.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails