Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Skillet Corn Bread


Yet another delightful PW recipe. For some reason you cannot search for this recipe on her site and have it come up. So, you have to be sneaky like me and find it. I like this recipe as opposed to my mom's old recipe because my mom's old recipe is A- huge, B- fussy. This is quick, easy, and I usually have all of the ingredients. Plus, it doesn't make a whole ton. Just enough to feed my family. Once my kids are bigger and eating me out of house and home, I will probably have to switch back to my mom's recipe, but here it goes!

1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cups milk
1 whole egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cups shortening *Lindsey's notes: I used butter people. It is just better that way!
2 Tablespoons shortening *butter again for me.
*I also added a 2-3 of tablespoons of sugar. My mom's recipe is sweet, and it is just what I am used to!

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. (My skillet is only oven proof up to 400 degrees. I was making it in a 10 inch skillet which is plenty big. My iron skillet is much bigger than that, so, I had to use a smaller one. Be sure your skillet is oven safe. Cooking it on 400 degrees for me worked just fine)

Combine cornmeal, flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl (and sugar if you used it!). Stir together.

Measure the buttermilk and milk in a measuring cup and add the egg. (Buttermilk has become a staple in my fridge, but if you need a cheat, you can combine milk with some vinegar, or lemon juice. See CHEAT HERE!) and add the egg. Stir together with a fork. Add the baking soda and stir.

Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until combined.

In a small bowl, melt 1/4 c. butter. Slowly add melted butter to the batter. Stir until just combined. In an iron skillet, melt the remaining butter over medium heat on the stove top. Pour the batter into the hot skillet. Spread to even out the surface. Cook for 1 minute (batter should sizzle) and bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven or until golden brown.

Edges should be crispy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails