Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Whole Wheat Bread

I know there are already several Whole Wheat Bread Recipes on here, and they are all very different. I am going to have to go back through and try them all again to make sure I keep the ones I really like on. (Don't worry Hills, I won't delete any of yours!)

This one is again courtesy of Susan Sanders.

5 cups hot water
1/2 cup oil
1 cup honey
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon salt
2 1/2 Tablespoons yeast
12-14 cups Whole Wheat Flour
*I add 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten to help with texture and preservation.

Combine water, oil, honey, lemon juice and salt and yeast in a large bowl (or mixer) (I proof my yeast first, just in case). Gradually add flour. Knead until dough is soft and doesn't stick to sides of bowl, or until smooth and elastic. Form into loaves and place into prepared loaf pans. Let rise 1 hour. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes then turn oven down to 325 degrees and bake 25 minutes more. Remove from pans and let cool on a rack. Brush tops of loaves with butter. Makes 4 loaves.

*Lindsey's notes. I like this hot/warm oven thing, but I have found it that I like to let my bread rise a touch longer that 1 hour for this recipe, AND, I need to to bake a bit longer. Actually, I think it could bake for 25 minutes at 350, but if you want to do it at 325 like she suggests, I would recommend another 6-10 minutes on the bread. You may have to adjust it according to your oven.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails