Sunday, March 20, 2011

Oatmeal Creme Pies





I went to the beach last week, and got a few "Beach snacks" for the kids. This category would be things I don't normally buy for the house. I.e. packaged cookies (NOT worth the calories) and chips. I got a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme pies because if I am going to eat a packaged cookie, it is going to be that, or double stuffed Oreos.

They were better than I remembered, but I still have an aversion to the process and preservatives that go along with packaged cookies, so, I decided that when I got home, I was going to find the best oatmeal creme pie recipe I could find. And guess what, I think I did, on first try.

It seems like I can't make a recipe without a few alterations these days, and this is the same. So, I will post my recipe that I made including adjustments.

1 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (I actually did not measure at this part!)
1 1/2 cups quick oats

Cream Filling (Can be doubled if necessary)

2 teaspoons very hot water
pinch of salt
1 jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Directions.

Cream butter, sugars, eggs and molasses together. Add vanilla. Combine salt, flour, cinnamon, baking soda. Add to creamed mixture. Then mix in the oats.

Drop dough by tablespoon (I used the small Pampered Chef cookie scoop, and it was the perfect size) on cookie sheets. It is a good idea to use parchment, or stones because cookies lie very flat, and they like to stick to the pan.

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Let cool.

Prepare the filling while the cookies cool.

In a batter bowl, dissolve salt in water. Add marshmallow cream and shortening and beat. Add powdered sugar and incorporate well. Add vanilla and pipe on to cooled cookies to make sandwiches.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails