Monday, November 8, 2010

Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Gyros


I Love Love Love Greek food and Chicken Gyros are at the top of my list. This was a great way to make them without any effort on my part. I will definitely be making these again and again!

***Updated Tip*** Costco now carries a great tzatziki sauce that is a great sub for the plain greek yogurt...I buy the pitas there too!

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 medium red onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1 1/2 t lemon pepper seasoning
1/2 t dried oregano
1/4 t allspice

1/2-1 c plain Greek yogurt
pita bread

Place chicken in greased slow cooker. Lay onion over chicken and sprinkle with seasonings. Cover and cook on low heat for 6 hours (my chicken was frozen). After 6 hours pour off excess water and shred chicken. Then stir in 1/2 to 1 cup yogurt based on desired creaminess. Spoon onto warm pita halves. Garnish with Roma tomato slices and cucumber slices. Makes 6-8 servings.
I garnished mine with sauteed zucchini and grape tomatoes (yum). You can make your own pita bread with the delicious recipe on this site...or if your short on time like I was I stopped at a local Greek restaurant and bought the pita bread a la cart and warmed it up with butter on a dry skillet at home....WOW! It was to die for!..Pita bread from the store will never compare so I suggest those options first. Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails