Friday, August 19, 2011

Gramercy Tavern Chocolate Brownies

This was my "Brownie Bake-Off" #1 recipe that I tested while my family was enjoying Scotland.  (Hmmm, a brownie vs. Scotland.  Tough choice!)  This recipe is from chef Claudia Fleming of Gramercy Tavern in NYC.  I think this was my favorite between #1 and #2 -- it has a more sophisticated chocolate taste and texture.  At least, this is the one I would bake for a gourmet gift.

The texture was like a truffle brownie, although it was slightly on the dry side (the brownie was stiff to cut into), but I think I baked it 2 minutes too long.  Seriously, ANY over-baking of brownies leads to no good, so I recommend under-baking these.


- 8 oz unsalted butter
- 4 oz premium unsweetened chocolate (e.g. Scharffen Berger)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2/3 C sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
---------------------
- 1 C unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 C chocolate chips (can also use chopped pecans, but why???)

Preheat oven to 350 d.  Grease a 9x9 pan (I only had an 8x8 glass pan, so they were a little thicker, but it worked nicely!)

Melt butter and chocolate together in a bowl, stir until combined (can melt slowly in microwave, or in a double boiler on the stove.)  In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla together.  Add the melted butter/chocolate mixture, and whisk until incorporated.  Fold in the flour and salt.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Pour into the pan and bake for approx. 30 minutes (the recipe says 35 min.  I baked them for 32 and I think it was 2 minutes too long.)  The center should be moist but not runny.  Cool 5 minutes, then take a knife and gentle loosen the edges.  Let cool completely before serving/eating -- if you can wait that long!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails