Friday, August 19, 2011

South by Southwest Brownies

This was brownie bake-off recipe #2.  I think I saw it in a Southwest Airlines magazine, and ripped it out to take home with me.  I become violent when I see chocolate.  This brownie has more of a cake-like texture than #1, and didn't have the more sophisticated semi-sweet/bittersweet taste of brownie #1.  But it was very moist inside -- if you pinch the crumbs together, it turns to mush.  And I've eaten the whole pan myself, so there!




- 1 C unsalted butter
- 2 C sugar
- 4 large eggs @ room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
-------------------------
- 2/3 C unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2/3 C unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 d.  Grease and flour a 9x9 pan, tapping out extra flour.  I used cocoa powder, not white flour. (I only had an 8x8 glass pan, so the brownies were thick.)

Melt butter in microwave or in a sauce pan over medium heat on the stove.  Remove from heat.  Whisk or stir in sugar, followed by eggs and vanilla.  Carefully stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.   Make sure the dry ingredients are well-incorporated and batter is smooth.  Pour in the pan and bake 35-40 minutes (since I used a smaller pan and brownies were thicker, it took 40 minutes.)  Toothpick test should have a few small clumps on it.

Let brownies cool completely (yeah, right) before cutting and eating.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails